Cuttlefish in Red Wine Butter Sauce
Yield: 3-4 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
- 1 pack thawed PanaPesca Whole Cleaned Cuttlefish
- Thaw in refrigerator overnight or in tap water for about an hour before cooking
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp granulated garlic
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp minced shallot
- 1 cup quartered mushrooms
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup red wine
- 1/2 cup raw butter cut into 4-6 pieces
- Salt & pepper
- Heat the 1 tbsp oil in a sauté pan.
- Dredge the cuttlefish in the flour mix and add to hot pan, be sure that the oil sizzles when the cuttlefish is added, if it does not, allow the oil to heat some more.
- Cook on one side for about 1-2 minutes, until lightly colored, repeat for other side.
- Remove from the pan.
- Add the other 1 tbsp oil and heat the pan.
- Add the mushrooms, season with salt and pepper and sauté for 1 minute then add the shallots and sauté for another minute.
- Add the cuttlefish back to the hot pan and add the red wine, stir for 1 minute over medium heat.
- Remove the mushrooms and cuttlefish from the pan and allow the sauce to cook while simmering until reduced by 2/3 in volume.
- Add the mushrooms and cuttlefish back in to the liquid, bring to a simmer.
- Remove from the heat and add the butter while stirring, allowing the heat in the pan to melt the butter. Do NOT boil. Between the flour from the cuttlefish and the process of incorporating the butter, the wine will become thicker and make the sauce.